Landlords and tenants are both responsible for paying bills. Find out what you are responsible for.

If the costs still have to be paid when a tenant isn’t living in the house, the landlord has to pay for them. For example, the council still charges rates, so the landlord has to pay them even if no one’s living in the house.

If the costs are a result of living in the house, then the tenant has to pay. For example, the internet provider only charges when someone’s living in the house and has the internet connected.

The landlord must pay for any utilities or bills shared by different tenancies.

Both tenants and landlords will also need to pay for their own insurance.

Insurance has advice for landlords and tenants about this.

Online tool
What are you responsible for?

1. Are you a tenant or a landlord?

Gas bottles

The landlord must make sure a property has adequate means of heating water and cooking food. If gas is the main form of heating water and cooking, the landlord must provide access to a gas supply.

In some towns and cities, gas is supplied to properties in large gas bottles rather than by mains supply. In this situation, the landlord must provide a gas cylinder and any piping needed to connect the gas.

The landlord pays for the hire charge of the gas bottles (if any). The tenant pays for the cost of the gas used.

The landlord may agree to provide a full gas bottle at the start of the tenancy, and the tenant will make sure it’s full when the tenancy ends. If you agree to this, you should record it in the tenancy agreement.

Rating form

Did you find this information helpful?

For general enquiries please contact us