Recent changes to tenancy law give tenants more flexibility to make changes to the rental property or tenancy.
Tenants can request to:
The law changes include how tenants should make their request (in writing), who covers the costs of the change and expected timeframes for landlords to respond.
To make it easier for tenants to request the change and landlords to respond, there are letter templates available on our website.
By using these templates you can be confident you have included all the required information in your letter. A notes section at the bottom of each template also provides useful information about the tenant and landlord’s rights and responsibilities under the Residential Tenancies Act.
- Making changes to the property - request template [PDF, 43 KB]
- Making changes to the property - response template [PDF, 50 KB]
- Installing fibre broadband - request template [PDF, 45 KB]
- Installing fibre broadband - response template [PDF, 42 KB]
- Assigning a tenancy - request template [PDF, 43 KB]
- Assigning a tenancy - response template [PDF, 61 KB]
Further changes to the Residential Tenancies Act 1986 came into effect on 11 February 2021. The changes affect both landlords and tenants. Find out more about the recent tenancy law changes.Back to News