Following Royal Assent on 30 July 2019, this Act comes into force today.
The Act was created to address issues related to:
- liability for damage to rental premises caused by a tenant
- methamphetamine contamination in rental premises
- rental premises that are unlawful for residential use.
Full information about how this new law affects tenants and landlords is available here.
The Act also allows for:
- regulations to be made that address contamination of rental properties is tested and managed
- the combination of the insulation statement and healthy homes statement into one separately signed statement
- a new requirement for landlords to include an insurance statement in tenancy agreements. [PDF, 811 KB]
An updated Residential Tenancy Agreement and Boarding House Tenancy Agreement is now available.Back to News